CLARIN-D for Human Speech and Language Processing: Psycholinguistics and Cognitive Psychology
CLARIN-D supports research in human speech and language processing by providing services for accessing language data, analysing written and spoken text, and archiving and providing corpora and research results. The Working Group 4 (WG4) »Human Speech and Language Processing: Psycholinguistics and Cognitive Psychology« is a network of scholars whose aim it is to support psycholinguistics and cognitive psychology through the digital research infrastructure
Data for Research
The Virtual Language Observatory (VLO) provides access to many resources for research such as data of the Max-Planck-Institute for psycholinguistics and research work with their corresponding evaluation scripts, provided by the Mind Research Repository.
A dedicated full text search, the Federated Content Search (FCS) of CLARIN-D, allows researchers to search the full text of many resources of the CLARIN community. This way, it is possible to find examples for the usage of certain terms, for instance. References and source documents found in this way can be extracted and saved as a corpus for further analysis.
Software Tools for Research Projects
CLARIN-D provides software and web services for the analysis and preparation of language data. This includes WebAnno for the manual and semi-automatic annotation of texts or WebLicht for automatic annotation of texts with a variety of tools that can be combined according to the needs and preferences of the user.
Providing Your Own Research Data
The CLARIN-D network not only provides tools for the analysis of language data, but also offers the possibility to sustainably archive your own research data and provide it to the research community for reuse. By cooperating with a CLARIN centre, the data can be prepared in a way where it is sufficiently described by metadata. One such tool is the CMDI-Maker, which can be used for creating descriptions that allow the research community to easily access the data and results via dedicated search engines.
The "Mind Research Repository" provides a solution for reproducible research within the CLARIN-D infrastructure. Researchers have the opportunity to publish their papers, data and evaluations. The MRP provides access to several hundreds of papers.
- Mind Research Repository: openscience.uni-leipzig.de
Contacts in the Discipline
Within CLARIN-D, the disciplines are organised into Working Groups (WGs). The discipline-specific working group 4 is working on research of human speech and language processing. Its members have backgrounds in psycholinguistics and cognitive psychology. Currently the working group is focussing on establishing an infrastructure for reproducible research within CLARIN. Research data shall be made publicly and permanently accessible. This will increase reproducibility and verifiability of experimental results. Furthermore, tools for constructing stimuli in language research will be addressed.
Responsible CLARIN-D Centres
- Dr. Alexander Geyken, Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften
- Ingmar Schuster, University Leipzig
- Prof. Dr. Ingo Plag, Uni Düsseldorf
- Prof. Dr. Harald Baayen, Uni Tübingen
- Prof. Dr. Barbara Kaup, Uni Tübingen
- Prof. Dr. Lars Konieczny, Uni Freiburg
- Prof. Dr. Pienie Zwitserlood, Uni Münster
- Prof. Reinhold Kliegl, Ph.D., Uni Potsdam
- Prof. Dr. Shravan Vasishth, Uni Potsdam
- PD Dr. Erich Weichselgartner, ZPID
- Prof. Dr. Anke Lüdeling, HU Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Sabine Weinert, Uni Bamberg
Chair and Contact
- Dr. Maria Staudte, Universität des Saarlandes
Associated CLARIN-D Centers
- Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften, Alexander Geyken
- University of Leipzig, Ingmar Schuster
Resources from the Discipline for the Discipline
During the implementation phase of CLARIN-D, the WG identified important resources and tools, which have been developed and prepared for reuse. These small projects are called curation projects within CLARIN-D.
- Curation project 1: Implementation of a platform for Open Science and Reproducible Research for Psycholinguistics and Cognitive Psychology | Project information
- Curation project 2: An Open Science platform for Corpus Linguistics | Project information
- Curation project 3: An Open Science platform for Corpus Linguistics - Broadening the scope of the Mind Research Repository | openscience.uni-leipzig.de