Implementation of a web-based annotation platform for linguistic annotations (WG 7)
This curation project for the implementation of a web-based annotation platform for linguistic annotations was accepted for funding in June 2012. Responsible investigators are Prof. Chris Biemann, Prof. Iryna Gurevych and Richard Eckart de Castilho (UKP Lab, Technische Universität Darmstadt). The implementation will be realized by a software engineer at Technische Universituat Darmstadt. Additionally, the WebLicht team at Universität Tübingen will be carrying out the integration of the tool with the CLARIN-D infrastructure.
We develop a web-based tool, which runs in a web browser without further installation effort. We support annotations on several linguistic layers within the same user interface. Further, we realize an interface to crowdsourcing platforms, to be able to scale simple annotation tasks to a large amount of annotators. The annotation platform will be connected to the CLARIN-D infrastructure, to be interoperable with the processing pipelines in WebLicht. The development of the tool is supported by a concurrent second curation project, which defines ‘best practices’ for linguistic annotation on several language layers for different annotator status groups.
This platform addresses all communities that perform systematic annotation of textual material, which means tagging the text with a closed set of labels that are defined in annotation guidelines. This is especially relevant for the communities of computational linguistics, language technology and quantitative linguistics.
01.09.2012 – 30.11.2013
Prof. Dr. Chris Biemann Computer Science Dept., Technical University Darmstadt
Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych Computer Science Dept., Technical University Darmstadt
UKP Lab, Computer Science Dept., Technical University Darmstadt
- Seid Muhie Yimam (100%), Technical University Darmstadt
- Link: WebLicht Team (50%), University of Tübingen
- Hinrichs, Marie; Thomas Zastrow and Erhard Hinrichs (2010): WebLicht: Web-based LRT Services in a Distributed eScience Infrastructure. Proceedings of LREC 2010, Malta.
- Stenetorp, Pontos; Sampo Pyysalo, Goran Topić, Tomoko Ohta, Sophia Ananiadou and Jun'ichi Tsujii (2012). brat: a Web-based Tool for NLP-Assisted Text Annotation. In Proceedings of the Demonstrations Session at EACL 2012, Avignon, France
- Richard Eckart de Castilho and Sabine Bartsch and Iryna Gurevych (2012): CSniper - Annotation-by-query for non-canonical constructions in large corpora. Proceedings of the 50th Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL) 2012 (Demo section), Jeju, South Korea
- Richard Eckart de Castilho and Iryna Gurevych (2009): DKPro-UGD: A Flexible Data-Cleansing Approach to Processing User-Generated Discourse. Proceedings of LINA CNRS UMR 6241, Nantes, France